Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Industrial Revolution


These current chapters are the most interesting ones that I have read so far.  Interesting is probably not the word I should use in describing them, but they were interesting in a way that caught my attention and allowed me to stay focused on the reading and the different subjects.  I was able to even read them faster than all the other chapters allowing me to remember all what I read in one reading. 

It’s definitely encouraging to know where the Industrial Revolution began.  With new technology innovation being created which lead to an increase in the output of goods and service, the output increased in Britain between 1750-1900.  One of the best breakthroughs in new technology was the steam engine.  Funny how we take the steam engine for granted and just always felt they were always here. 

The spread of the Industrial Revolution started from Britain to Western Europe, then to the United States, Russia and then to Japan.  It then became global by the 20th century.  There are some debate as to why industrialization appeared first in Great Britain and why it started in the late 19th century, because other parts of the world had great technologies also, like Islamic world in 750-1100 c.e., and also India, which was the center of cotton.  China as we know also let the world in technological innovation somewhere between 700 and 1400 c.e.  All of these had slowed down by the time the modern era came around. 

Why Britain?

Because Britain was the most commercialized of European’s largest countries.  Unfortunately the smaller farmers were being pushed out.  There were lots of workers willing and able because they did not have much of an option to go and find work anywhere else.  British commerce was worldwide, which they also received a great deal of protection from the Royal Navy.  

Great Britain seems to focus on the Scientific Revolution, of logic, deduction, and mathematical reasoning.  They were also in close contact with scientist and entrepreneurs.   Overall, Britain had a lot going for them, which they were not devastated by the Napoleonic wars.

The First Industrial Society. 

There was a large increase of output as industrial went forward in Britain.  The new and quick development of the railroad system was one of the output.  Funny when I read about the railroad system in Europe, I can clearly see me on the European Rail.  For which I have taken it many times while traveling from country to country in Europe.  I wondering if this is the same one that I have rode many time before. 

There is so much to talk about in this chapter, that am going to have to write in two part.  In my further discussion, I would like to talk about the unions. I have many friends and relative that belong to the union, which I have know clue as to what they really do for people, beside help them save their job.  Perhaps I should have been part of a union many years ago, because working for lawyers, I find they can let you go at any moment for no reason at all.  But there are some downs to working for a union and perhaps I will discuss in my future blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment