Sunday, June 16, 2013

Classical Era


Late Classical Era

When I first heard my professor speak of the Silk Roads, I imagine these beautiful ancient roads made of silk.  But I knew that there could not be such a road made of silk.  However, even after reading the chapter and finding out what was meant by the Silk Roads, I still had in my mind these beautiful silk roads that people would travel on.  I just couldn’t get that out of my mind. 

This chapter on the Silk Roads was more than interesting to know how people were exchanging goods within one society to another, however, was I found more interesting was how the silk was either morally to some people and sacred to others.

Back in 500-1500 c.e., long-distance trade became more important than ever before.  These trades were mostly indirect, by a creation of networks and exchanges across the Afro-Eurasian world.  So basically, the good would be handed off to someone else at one point of another and continued on down the Silk Road. 

A question was asked in this chapter as to why trade was significant and how by doing so, how was trade help change societies that were connected to the trade?  First, it altered consumption and with “enabling West African to import scare salt” (p. 218).  It also encouraged specialization.  Traders also became a separate social group.  Trade also provided the elites with prestige goods.  Trade also brought religious idea, new technological innovation, plants and animals, but unfortunately it also spread disease along the trade routes. 

What type of goods traveled along the Silk Roads?  First, as we know from our readings that these road were being traveled by camels which crossed the harsh and dangerous steppes.  Also China at first had control of the silk technology, but soon it led to drain of resources from Roman Empire to east.  The Romans are the one that that the silk as morally decadent.  Since silk is very see through, women were wearing revealing clothes that one could see parts of their body.  This was sort of funny to me because, when I look at what people were now, is probably way more revealing?  The Romans would all have a heart attacked now if they saw the silk garment people are wearing in this century. 

Silk was lined to the sacred in Buddhism and Christianity.  Even though silk was developed in Western Europe in the twelfth century, it was import to Islam way before this. 

What I found interesting was how Buddhism spread along Silk Roads through Central and East Asia.  Buddhism always fascinated merchants.  If people wanted to become a Buddhist it was surely all-voluntary.   The spread of Buddhism along the Silk Road where monasteries provided rest stops for merchants.    

Later Sea Roads became an avenue for commerce from the time of the Phoenicians.  Venice was a center of commerce by 1000 c.e.    Because I have been to Venice several times now, I had this visual in my mind how these trades were all taking place, but I am sure it looked nothing like it looks like now. 

I truly enjoyed reading about this chapter on trade and can see where someone would have so much to say on this.    I barely was able to touch a bit on the subject.  It truly is so fascinating how ancient people traded and sold their goods without  the technology we have now to move goods from place to place.  

No comments:

Post a Comment